Friday, June 27, 2008

my thoughts on recent events

Well, it's been awhile since I have opined on the goings-on of our favourite golfers and so I thought I would take the time to comment on the recent news coming out of Leafs Nation for the benefit of you readers who are interested in my thoughts.

I am happy to see that Fletcher is actually following through on promises to rebuild and change the look of the franchise--it was great to see Wellwood and Raycroft put on waivers, hear of the buyout of Darcy Tucker (whom I love, but it's time to go) and today to read of steps toward ridding the Leafs of my least favourite of the Muskoka Five, Bryan McCabe. These are all important steps in the right direction for making this a team that wants to win, that performs well, and that's young and hungry. Hiring Ron Wilson, who is excellent at coaching young players, was an inspired move by the Leafs brass (and how often have you EVER heard me say THAT?) and if the smart decisions keep coming from Fletch and our future GM, the future of the team is looking bright to me. This young defenceman that the team picked up 5th overall in this year's draft, Luke Schenn, looks like a great prospect--a big, strong, physical defenceman and there are some other good prospects in the farm system, including one of the best young goaltenders in the world, Justin Pogge.

As for the whole Mats Sundin situation, I would love to have him back to lead a group of young players and it would be hard to see him in another team's colours. However, if we're trying to younger, he obviously does not fit the bill. Can you really see Sundin in a Habs or Wings jersey though? I shudder to think...

No comments: