Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Maurice gets the axe

As reported in a variety of different sources, Paul Maurice was fired from his post as Leafs head coach this morning. I am not particularly surprised by this news, though I admit to being bit saddened. Maurice may have been wearing some very rose-coloured glasses (before the 2007-08 season, Maurice labeled the Maple Leafs as the “most talented hockey team” he had ever coached, according to today's National Post article on the firing), but I think that the Maple Leafs problems had little, if anything, to do with Maurice as a coach.

I have a great deal of respect for Paul Maurice and, as I mentioned, I am really disappointed that he is leaving. However, he will make a great addition to any organization and I wish him all the best.

Well, add "coach" to our list of positions to be filled, joining "GM" and "hockey team" (as opposed to golfers). It's going to be interesting to see what happens next...

No comments: